What ITSO does
ITSO is the national Specification, or Standard, for smart ticketing. ITSO Limited is the Guardian of the Crown copyright for the ITSO Specification.
The Specification was developed with the aim of ensuring that public transport operators throughout Great Britain can develop compatible smart ticketing systems. Transport operators and suppliers of smart hardware and software use the ITSO Specification to ensure that their systems can talk the same electronic language. In theory this means that a passenger can use just one smartcard no matter which operator is providing a service or what mode of transport they are using, rather than having to buy lots of different tickets or carry separate smartcards.
ITSO Limited, a non-profit distributing membership organisation:
- Working for, and funded by, its membership which consists of a range of organisations from across the smart ticketing and transport industries, with representation from the Public Sector, Bus and Rail Sectors and Expertise and Equipment Suppliers
- Supports its members to set up and run ITSO-compliant smart ticketing schemes
- Tests and certifies smart ticketing equipment to ensure it meets the ITSO standards
- Ensures the ITSO Specification is up to date and fit for purpose, changing to meet new technical requirements
- Provides the back office security management system which enables ITSO-compliant smart ticketing systems to be set up (known as the ISMS or ITSO Security Management System). This system guarantees high security surrounding the data it processes
The ITSO Board oversees the work of ITSO Limited and is made up of representatives from the different membership sectors.
Our Current Business Plan can be found here.
This page was last updated on 11 May 2016 GMT